St Patrick's Church, Clogh
The first church was built on the site of the present church in the 13th century. This replaced the ancient church that stood at Kilpatrick. The present church was built in 1826.
Sacred Heart Church, Moneenroe
The foundation stone was blessed in 1928 and was dedicated 14 September 1930. The Church cost twelve thousand pounds with the local miners contributing six thousand pounds. The most striking feature inside this Church is the windows. The east windows behind the Altar in Moneenroe Church come from the famous stained glass studios of Harry Clarke. They were ordered in late 1928 so were probably installed in 1929. While Harry Clarke was involved in the sales process he probably did not have any direct involvement in the making of the windows. It appears that the Parish Priest came to Dublin to see other Clarke windows before deciding on a final design. Cost could have been an issue. the large window cost £110 and the smaller ones £20 each.
© 2020. Clogh Parish